The Portuguese built Fort Jesus in 1593. Fort Jesus was built to secure the safety of Portuguese living on the East Coast of Africa.
Between 1837 and 1895, the Fort was used as barracks for the soldiers. When the British protectorate was proclaimed on the 1st of July 1895, the Fort was converted into a prison.
The huts were removed and cells were built. On the 24th October 1958, Fort Jesus was declared a National Park in the custody of the Trustees of the Kenya National Parks.
Excavation was carried out and the Fort became a Museum in 1962. The Fort is now an important historical landmark in the East African region.